Please excuse this fairly impersonal way of addressing you.
We have had a busy week, and therefore you won’t read a proper blog post.
However, just to give you an insight into what your librarians are up to, a quick note; we have been weeding and removing books from the shelves at the Pendlebury Library of Music. I thought it might be interesting for you to know some of what we are removing from the open shelves:
1. Wagner’s collected works in German which were printed in Fraktur (if you are interested to know even more about issues surrounding this Germanic font, please go to the British Library’s DACH blog), so I assume that most of our readers won’t actually be able to read that (there is a more modern edition at the UL: M470.d.90.112).
2. “Compliments of the season” by L.D. Ettlinger and R.G. Holloway, London : Penugin 1947. (still at UL: 879.d.24.38)
3. “Music and Its Lovers” by Vernon Lee (still on shelf at UL: M824.c.90.2).
4. “Folies de Paris – The Rise and Fall of French Operetta” (still on shelf at UL: M704.b.95.3).
5. Christmas and Christmas lore / T.G. Crippen. (still available in the UL’s Rare Book Reading Room: Misc.6.92.140)
This should be enough to give you an idea. Some of the above books will just be in “closed access”, and remain at the Pendlebury Library.
Others might be disposed of altogether. The main criteria for removing them from open shelves are:
1. The book does not contain any footnotes and is not written by a famous person.
2. The book’s approach isn’t of primary importance to today’s study of music.
3. The text is in languages other than English.
4. The text is printed in Fraktur.
I might share other funny titles with you in the future.
Oh, and have a nice weekend!
- Anderson Room anniversaries Arthur Bliss At the event audio-visual materials Black Bear Inn book moves Bygone concert venues C16 music C18 music C19 music C20 composers C21 composers Cambridge collectors Cambridge Colleges Cambridge composers Cambridge University Library CDs collection development College Libraries Composers' archives concert programmes concert venues Copyright Crystal Palace Deryck Cooke Deryck Cooke Archive donations DVDs e-resources ebooks exams exhibitions Faculty of Music film music film scoring First world war George Frideric Handel Gustav Mahler Hans Keller Letters librarianship manuscripts Marion Scott Meet... music and literature Music at CUL music at the UL Music collectors Music Department Musicians' archives music librarians music literature music manuscripts music pilot Music publishing new aquisitions opera outreach Pendlebury Library Pendlebury Library of Music popular music rare books Richard Pendlebury sheet music songs St James's Hall stock management To celebrate to commemorate user surveys Victorian sheet music Victorian songs William Alwyn William Alwyn Archive work experience